Monday, August 18, 2014

Thoughts on the Current Education System

Thoughts on the Current Education System

So as I am in my third week of school I felt I should make a comment on the education system. I have a couple of problems with the current one, these are mostly based on CPG Grey's video on Digital Aristotle. However, after pulling from a few more sources I have compiled a list of things that our wrong with our system that I would like to share (This is based on the U.S.A. education system).

Pacing
In the current education system (I will use CES for short) the pace is right for only 1 out of 5         
students. This is a major problem because either people will not be able to keep up in a system       
which builds upon earlier lessons, or people will be held back by how we teach.

Purpose
The CES focuses on getting a good job; however, I believe that is not what most people are 
looking for. I hate it when people ask me what do you want to be when you grow up because I 
don't want to be my job, I want to be happy and healthy; I believe most people want this to. 
Therefore, the education system should be based around around these things. There are many 
things that make a person happy and healthy, but we should teach the basic principles. Don't get the wrong idea here, I still believe we should do the standard classes; however, these classes should not overpower being happy and healthy

Agency
Many times in planners for lessons there is a startling lack of agency, the ability to influence an outcome. Agency is a very important lesson for are youth to learn because it gives them the power
to make their lives better than their starting conditions or better are own civilization. I feel that schools should make agency a huge part of education because if they don't many people will miss
great opportunities because they feel that they cannot influence the end result.

So that is a quick rundown of my thoughts on the CES. What do you guys think? Hash it out in the comments and I will respond in tomorrows blog post after the normal post.

No comments:

Post a Comment